Independent representative and Chair: Adjunct Professor Debra Thoms, Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer for the Australian Government
Professor Debra Thoms is the Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer for the Australian Government and is responsible for providing high-level advice on nursing and midwifery issues. She also participates in the formulation and implementation of policy and strategic direction in relation to health care in Australia. She was formerly the inaugural Chief Executive Officer of the Australian College of Nursing, a position she took up in mid-2012 following six years as the Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer with NSW Health.
Public Health representative: Professor Peter Davies BSc (Hons), M Phil, PhD, R.Nutr, FNSA - Children’s Health Research Centre, University of Queensland
Professor Peter Davies is an Honorary Professor of Childhood Nutrition in the Children’s Health Research Centre within the University of Queensland. He has previously held the positions of Deputy Head of UQ’s Medical School as well Director of Research for the School of Medicine. Professor Davies has published over 450 articles and papers in the field of nutrition, growth, energy metabolism and body composition in both health and disease in infants and children over a number of years. He is a past member of the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Dietary Guidelines Working Committee and the NHMRC Infant Feeding Committee and he also a member of the Food Standards Australia New Zealand, Infant and Young Child Scientific Advisory Group. Professor Davies was made a Fellow of the Nutrition Society of Australia in 2015. He is also the inaugural Chair of the Early Life Nutrition Coalition.
Industry representative: Ms Jan Carey - Chief Executive Officer, Infant Nutrition Council
Ms Jan Carey is the current CEO of the Infant Nutrition Council (INC), and was previously the Executive Director of Infant Formula Manufacturers' Association of Australia and the New Zealand Infant Formula Marketers' Association, prior to their amalgamation to form INC. She is also the industry representative on the Ministry of Health’s Compliance Panel in New Zealand. In 2013, Ms Carey was appointed to the Executive of the Governing Board for the International Special Dietary Food Industries Association (ISDI). ISDI is based in Brussels, represents the industry globally at Codex, World Health Assembly meetings and World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board meetings.
Declarations of Interest – MAIF Complaints Committee
The following declarations are current as of 16 January 2019.
Adjunct Professor Debra Thoms, Chair
Nil interests declared.
Professor Peter Davies
Declared receipt of funding support from the following infant formula manufacturers:
Prior to 31st March 2018
Support received by the Children’s Nutrition Research Centre at the University of Queensland (where Peter Davies was Director) from Industry partners:
Since 1st April 2018
- Grant from Nutricia (Australia and New Zealand) with University of Auckland, to investigate the benefits, or otherwise, of a young child formula.
- Honoraria from Aspen (Australia) for production of educational modules for Health Care Professionals.
- Honoraria from Bayer (Australia) for production of educational modules for Health Care Professionals.
- Donation from Nestle (Australia) to assist with the Centre’s ongoing research in childhood nutrition.
- Grant from Danone/Nutricia to investigate the development of the microbiome in young children.
- Grant from Nutricia (Netherlands) to investigate nutritional screening methodology in children with Cerebral palsy.
- Honoraria from Apsen (Australia) for presenting educational material to Health Care Professionals.
- Honoraria from Nutricia (Australia) for presenting educational material to Health Care Professionals.
- Honoraria from Nestle (Australia) for presenting educational material to Health Care Professionals.
Consultancy funding received from the following;
- Aspen, (Australia) for production and presentation of educational modules to Health Care Professionals.
- Nutricia,(Australia) for overseeing a survey of nutritional knowledge of pharmacist.
- Evolution Health,(Australia) for chairing their scientific advisory board.
Ms Jan Carey
Declared employment by the Infant Nutrition Council which represents the major manufacturers and marketers of infant formula in Australia and New Zealand as well as local companies who are producing product for export.